Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Week 7, Thing 16

When Wikis were first introduced to us at our library, I wasn't sure if I thought they were a useful product. Anyone could add to a Wiki and anyone could edit a Wiki. What if these folks where not the expert in the field? Could you trust who was adding and editing?

I would still steer students to other valid websites when doing reports and researching, but now I see a great use for Wikis. The Library 2.0 Wiki will come in handy when I have finished with 23 Things and want to refer to something that I learned. I imagine that this Wiki will have new additions all the time. The Booklovers Wiki looks terrific as a place for recommendations. Why not send people there who are looking for what they might like to read next? I love the idea of adding a Wiki to the library home page to share community ideas and information. It's hard to know who is a good seamstress or a good mechanic. This woudl be especially helpful for newcomers to our growing community.

My favorite Wiki (which I bookmarked and will refer to often) is Library Success - A Best Practices Wiki. This one will be very helpful in determining policies, practices and finding new ideas. We obviously are not the only library dealing with the homeless and the poor.

The library is a dynamic place and I think a Wiki is a good reflection of what we are becoming.

No comments: