Friday, August 17, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23

There are many adjectives I can think of to describe 23 Things. Informative, cool, helpful, techno-crazy (made that one up) and overwhelming. I kept a folder with all my new, fun sites and I have post-its all over the folder with all my new logins and passwords.

This course contains an incredible amount of information. Many of these sites are ones that librarians should know about and be able to use to help customers and to help our selves. I love LibraryThing, RSS feeds and Bloglines. Some of the perspectives we read about in Thing 15 should probably be re-read once a week to remind us to keep up with the changing world. It is truly the only way we will stay in business.

I can now stay connected to what is happening in the library world through blogs and podcasts. And, of course, I will always remember to play!

There are only two ideas I have that may improve the program, at least from my viewpoint. I learn better when someone shows me how to do things the first time, especially since I'm not super intuitive on the computer. An introductory class on permalinks and a few of the trickier-to-figure-out "things" would have helped me. I would also recommend to children's librarians who have very busy summer programs not to do 23 Things during the summer. I found it difficult to devote the time I needed to really play with a lot of new stuff. But I know where it is and how to find it and I will go back to many of these "things."

Now---if someone would only come up with a 24th Thing that would keep all my logins and passwords straight...............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the DVD e CD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dvd-e-cd.blogspot.com. A hug.